Original Text © Revishvili ASh, Serguladze SYu, Shmul' AV et al., published in Annaly aritmologii 2013; 10(1): 10-14.
This article describes a clinical case of a patient with left atrial myxoma combined with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. General practitioner considered symptoms of left ventricular insufficiency (shortness of breath, cough, palpitation, dizziness, blood spitting) as lung pathology. When paroxysms of atrial fibrillation became more frequent the patient was send to cardiologist. Transthoracic echocardiography revealed a tumor (55 x 52 mm) arising from the middle third of interatrial septum, floating and partially obstructing left atrioventricular orifice. Patient underwent Maze IV procedure combined with tumor resection. Histological study of the tumor showed typical for heart myxoma structure and cells. This case shows on-time diagnostics and successful surgical treatment of the patient with left atrial myxoma combined with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation.
- Bockeria LA, Malashenkov AI, Kavsadze WE et al. Cardoioncology. M: BSCCS; 2003. 254 p. [Article in Russian]. eLIBRARY.RU:20349731.
- Bockeria LA, Malashenkov AI, Skopin II et al. Surgical treatment of acquired heart diseases and tumors of the heart in elderly patients. Bull. Bakoulev SCCVS 2007; 8 (3): 25. [Article in Russian].
- Raith EP. Heart: Cardiac Myxoma. Atlas Genet. Cytogenet. Oncol. Haematol. March 2009.
- Garatti A, Nano G, Canziani A et al. Surgical excision of cardiac myxomas: twenty years experience at a single institution. Ann Thorac Surg 2012; 93: 825-31., PMID:22296980, D0I:10.1016/j.athoracsur.2011.11.009.
- Oliveira R, Branco L, Dias L et al. Mitral valve myxomas: an unusual entity. Eur J Echocardiogr 2008; 9(1): 181-3. PMID:18267920, D0I:10.1093/ejechocard/jem062.
- Castillo JG, Silvay G. Characterization and management of cardiac tumors. Semin Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2010; 14(1): 6-20. PMID:20472615, D0I:10.1177/1089253210362596.
- Cohen R, Singh G, Mena D et al. Atrial Myxoma: A case presentation and review. Cardiol Res 2012; 3(1): 41-4. D0I:10.4021/cr145w.
- Guden M, Akpnar B, Ergenoglu M et al. Combined radiofrequency ablation and myxoma resection through a port access approach. Ann Thorac Surg 2004; 78: 1470-2. PMID:15464525, D0I:10.1016/S0003-4975(03)01439-5.
Revishvili Amiran Sh. - MD, PhD, Dr. Med. Sci., Professor, RAMS Academician. Bakoulev Scientific Center for Cardiovascular Surgery, Moscow, Russia;
Serguladze Sergei Yu. - MD, PhD, Bakoulev Scientific Center for Cardiovascular Surgery of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Moscow, Russia;
Shmul' Andrei V. - MD, PhD, Bakoulev Scientific Center for Cardiovascular Surgery of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Moscow, Russia;
Dzhordzhikiya Tamara R. - PhD, MD., Bakoulev Scientific Center for Cardiovascular Surgery of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Moscow, Russia